BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
April 25, 2017 5:30 p.m.
Members Present: Murrell Arnett, Dan Coons, Rusty Neill, Patricia Knowles
Members Absent: Keith Maloney
Others Present: Bernard Orman, Susan Spencer, Dr. McDowell, Jane Young, Sarah Middleton, Sheryl Beadles
Election of Officers
The current list of officers was reviewed. Dan motioned to continue the same. Murrell seconded and passed unanimously.
- Minutes from the March 28, 2017 Meeting
- Minutes from the April 19, 2017
- QA Report
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts to the Attorney
Dan motioned to approve the consent agenda. Patricia seconded and passed unanimously. Administration answered a few questions regarding QA and when monitors are discontinued.
Other Old Business – Four board members as well as Mr. Orman traveled to I-70 hospital in Sweet Spring’s Missouri on April 19, 2017. The purpose of the visit was to enhance the Board members knowledge concerning usage of Nurse Practitioners in the Emergency Department.
Samaritan Board of Trustees visited with the following individuals from I-70 hospital in Sweet Springs, MO. Jeff Bloemker, CEO, Nancy Gardner, CNO, Dr. Howerton and long standing board member Bill Treece. The CEO indicated patient satisfaction went up since they moved to the 1 ER doctor / 3 Nurse Practitioner model. The community liked the model because they knew they would see one of four people. They were previously with Doc’s Who Care. They stated that they now receive ambulance traffic that was formally being sent elsewhere.
The Board of Trustees discussed what Nurse Practitioners can prescribe in Emergency Room. They can prescribe a maximum of 3 days of a narcotic. The physician reviews and signs the script at a later time. Dr. Howerton helped set up a similar model at Cooper County Hospital in Booneville, MO.
The Sweet Springs community stated that for the most part the Nurse Practitioners needed to have experience in a high acuity setting. They have hired one Nurse Practitioner that only had two years of experience. She was a local Nurse Practitioner. The Board does not plan to make a decision at this time regarding Nurse Practitioners in the ER.
The Board of Trustees also discussed marketing opportunities. The Board discussed visiting the civic clubs in the future to discuss the hospital in general.
- Financial Report – Susan covered the financial report for March. March had a profit of $91,390, as compared to prior year net loss of ($101,381). Year to date we are at a loss of ($136,099), compared to prior year net loss of ($364,637). Patricia motioned to accept the financials as presented. Rusty seconded motion carried.
2. CAH Meeting Review – The Critical Access Hospital Meeting review was available for the Boards review. This is a meeting that we hold once a
year in order to comply with the CAH regulations.
3. Infection Control / Pharmacy & Therapeutic Minutes – We will start sharing these minutes quarterly with the Board of Trustees. The minutes
are for review only. Bern stated that Dr. Kleopfer conducts the Infection Control Meeting and will be retiring in June. Boyce & Bynum has not
notified us of his replacement at this time.
4. HR Report - The HR report for the first quarter of 2017 was available for the Boards review.
5. Medical Staff Minutes / Applications – Dr. McDowell reviewed the Medical Staff Minutes from the April 12th meeting with the Board of Trustees.
The following applications were reviewed. New: Dr. Bartlett, Dr. Harmston, Dr. Janjua. Renewals: Dr. Ashraf, Dr. Bong, Dr. Bukaty, Dr. Burdin, Dr. Butterfield, Dr. Cleaver, Dr. Crowther, Dr. Dabbasi, Dr. Frey, Dr. Gasque, Dr. Jackson, Dr. Khoury, Dr. Kimmell, Dr. Long, Dr. Luong, Dr. Manning, Dr. Morsch, Dr. Murphy, Dr. Roy, Dr. Shah, Dr. Sifers, Dr. Westhues, Dr. Wolkowitz. Rusty motioned to approve the applications as presented and approved by the Medical Staff. Dan seconded and passed unanimously.
6. Annual Departmental Analysis – Susan Spencer shared the non-cost based reimbursement analysis with the Board. This includes Ambulance,
RHC, and the Wellness Center.
7. Public Participation- None
8. Other New Business – Paula Barr, FNP and Taylor Wesley, PA will see patients as a Walk – in Clinic Monday through Friday 8:30 – 4:30. They will
see patients on a first come first serve basis.
With no other business Dan moved to adjourn the meeting Patricia seconded and passed unanimously.